~~~standing together as Ansley battles non-hodgkins lymphoma~~~

ways to serve

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket
"...for this reason also, since the day we heard of it, we have not ceased to pray for you..."

Sunday, December 26, 2010

choosing joy

Christmas at our house was a little different than years past.

The kids were very much the same. Excited, impatient, big smiles, so eager to see what is under all that wrapping paper. Matt was his wonderful, leader self. He opened the day with music and Bible time that focused us on what this day was all about- the gift of Jesus to us all!

Me, on the other hand, I was having a hard day. So emotional. So hard. So many "what if's" in my mind. I really allowed the unknown questions in life right now to take away the joy of yesterday. I think it's pretty normal, but I don't want to do it again. I remember reading something a while ago about not "misusing our minds." Misusing our minds includes thinking beyond today, worrying about what tomorrow will bring. God didn't intend for us to use our minds in this way. I am afraid I failed that yesterday. I am afraid I misused my mind.

Thankfully, I have a forgiving Father and a forgiving family. But, it taught me a good lesson. I have a lot of choices in how I use my days. I have been given a gift in today. I can either find joy in it or I can be numb to everything that day has given us. I want to choose joy. But, I am realizing I am going to have to fight for it! I have an an enemy that wants to capture my thoughts and steal these precious days from me. I choose to fight for my mind and my heart!!!

Please pray with me that my mind and heart will be joyful. Pray that I will not look beyond today. Pray that as a family we will not misuse our minds.

On another note, sweet Ansley's hair is really starting to fall out. She is frustrated because it gets in her mouth. We are not sure what to do. Do you go ahead and shave it off? Do you just keep brushing it until it is all out? We have never had to do deal with this before. If anyone has any suggestions, we'd love to hear.

We are overwhelmed with the gifts, cards, phone calls, meals, e-mails and letters we have received. Please know that all 7 of us are thankful for you. It has been a blessing to feel so loved by so many people. As life gets a bit calmer, I hope to give everyone a great big hug and say thank you in person. Enjoy this day.... it really is a gift!

Much love to our family, friends and faithful strangers,
Amy