~~~standing together as Ansley battles non-hodgkins lymphoma~~~

ways to serve

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket
"...for this reason also, since the day we heard of it, we have not ceased to pray for you..."

Friday, February 4, 2011

8 weeks down


 Well, today is the 8-week mark for Ansley.  It's hard to believe it was only 8 weeks ago that she was diagnosed. There have definitely been some long weeks. And yet, in some ways, I feel like we were just given the nauseating news of her cancer yesterday.  I don't know that the idea of her having cancer has gotten any easier.  I think Matt and I just know what has to happen for the next year and we are  willing to do whatever it takes to get our baby girl well.  

Our family plays a game at dinner where we draw a card and everyone at the table has to answer a question.  A few nights ago, the question was, "In one word, how would you describe your family?"  I was thrilled at the responses from the kids.  They used words like "incredible" and "amazing".  It really made my heart so full.  But, I have to say that I think I have seen our family become brave.  We always tell Ansley that being brave doesn't mean not crying or not being afraid, it just means doing what you have to do even if you are afraid.  I think our family has shown bravery, not by not crying, but by waking up, trusting that God is in control, enjoying every moment, and doing what we need to do even if we are afraid.

We have been awakened to a whole new world of hurting people through Ansley's diagnosis with ALCL. Just the other day, a friend sent me a link to another family's blog that has a daughter just about Ansley's age that is also battling cancer.  It was shocking and heart-wrenching to me to read about this family and to know first hand the kind of pain this momma was trying to explain. We have vowed to pray for this little girl just as you all pray for Ansley.  What brought weeping to me though was to hear Ansley pray for the little girl she had never met.  Her prayer went something like this, "Jesus, I pray for Kate.  Please heal her little body and take away the cancer.  Help her to be a brave girl.  Please heal her."  I almost felt like Ansley understood that they were going through very similar struggles right now.  I really am thankful that we have been given the opportunity to know so many amazing families that have fought hard in this battle against cancer.  

So, today, rejoice with us again that Ansley has fought hard for 8 weeks and is winning the battle!!  We are more grateful than ever that God chose us to be her parents!  She went to sleep tonight with Matt and I holding her hands singing, "Our God is Greater."  Does it get any better than that?  

Much love,
Amy and fam